People who argue for cutting taxes usually do so for the wrong reasons. If you view taxes as a moral issue, which I do, then there is only one correct reason for cutting taxes or, preferably, eliminating them entirely.
- To “grow” the economy
- So businesses can create more jobs
- To give an incentive for companies to bring factories home from overseas
- So the rich can buy more stuff and help the middle class and poor who make the stuff
- To help struggling workers stretch their paychecks
- To simplify the tax code and make it easier to file taxes
- To force the government to live within its means*
So the government can take in more money (see: Laffer Curve)
The correct reason:
Taxes are money that is stolen or extorted from its rightful possessors. Cut taxes to reduce the robbery. Eliminate them to stop the robbery.